Sunday, August 12, 2007

Adjusting to Life in the Big City

So, first of all, I need to thank Becky for the marvelous bathroom storage suggestion--girl, it works, and it saved me so much headache. I love all my bathroom bits, so I didn't want to get rid of them. And, thanks to you, all the lotions and bandaids and hair products are living hapily together in a not-so-crowded bathroom.

Next, I am truly a suburb-kind-of girl. Living in this city is going to be different. We went to Manhattan yesterday, to do some shopping at Bloomingdale's. Luckily, I got a bit familiar with the MTA when I was here in June with dear E!. So we traveled pretty well (considering that my poor, dear elderly family members had to truck it up and down all the stairs in and out of the subway system. They were pooped when we finally got back to Bayside). And we had a wonderful time--mom got me some new Gucci body lotion and shower gel, so I am gonna wow those St. John's folks with my yummy self when school starts. Also, Bloomingdale's is everything it's cracked up to be. Super-nice salespeople, DELICIOUS and numerous selections of shoes (I could seriously hurt myself and my credit rating in this place), and all sorts of beautiful things to buy.

That being said, getting things like a trashcan and a dish-drying rack are another story entirely. Gone are the days when strip malls full of Bed, Bath, and Beyond or Target are, like, an inch away. Daddy and I drove around last night looking for a place to get trash bags and paper towels. It's a whole new world, man.

I'm trying to be cool about it--when all I can think is "Different is bad. We fear change."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad the organizer worked out!

Good luck with the transition to the Big Apple.