Monday, April 7, 2008

Words of Advice from a Just-Turned 33 year old

First
I just had one of the best birthdays ever. And I say "one of" particularly because nothing will ever compare to my tenth birthday: roller-skating party that morphed into a slumber party. It. Was. Awesome. Also, that year I got both a phone and a stereo, so distinctly I remember lying on my bed, talking on the phone, and listening to Kool and the Gang feeling very, very cool and grown up. This birthday, however, was a close second or third for these reasons:
a. I got to see my dear godmother. I haven't seen her in years, and she is wonderful. She was the person who introduced my parents to one another, and I am named after her--so she's kind of a big deal. She was in town with several members of the family. We went to Canal St. and got yummy knock-off purses (I got "Dolce and Gabbana" and "Prada").
b. Canal St. is an interesting place. There are secret ninja rooms above and beneath and behind the storefronts that various people will take you to. At those rooms, you will either be sold a handbag or into slavery (ooooh, that zeugma is for you, debbie hawhee).
c. Then we went to see "Mamma Mia," the Broadway show featuring (I kid you not) Abba songs. And it was super fun. After the show, I got to take a picture with some of the cast members because I rock like that.
d. Then I came back to Bayside, and another dear friend took me out for dinner and drinks. I wore these shoes:














And it was a yummy night all around...

Second
I love astrology and personality tests almost as much as I love my godmother and shoes. My dear friend, AWS just blogged about the Meyers Briggs. He is an INTJ. I am an ENFP. Think what you will about Leos and Aquarians and ISTJ's, but this is super cool stuff to roll out at parties. People LOVE hearing about themselves, and if you want to impress someone, you can totally do it by talking about various and sundry personality measurements. For realious.

4 comments:

dhawhee said...

happy bday! (a day late) and nice zeugma indeed. (though those shoes might have edged it out slightly)

Unknown said...

"zeugma"...I'm so impressed (though you PhDs could probably impress me up and down the wall). I used to pull this term out to try and impress people with my verbal skills (you can see how well that went; i have used "impress" three times in two sentences). By the way, I totally dig Abba. I borrowed my grandfather's "Super Trooper" album 20 years ago and have been a fan ever since. Oh...blog as confessional. Wait, this is your blog, isn't it? Well, Happy Birthday to you! You're spectacular. :o)

james said...

Thanks and Thanks! When I wear those shoes again, I will try to be extra-rhetoric-y... just for you people.

Maxwell said...

i cannot believe that having happy birthday sung by ur mostsest favoritest cousin did not make this list....I am protesting and quite possibly no longer family....