Thursday, January 22, 2009

Hey, Honey, I'm Home

So, How's things? Good? School started yesterday = Awesome. I am teaching three classes this year--public speaking, persuasion, and an independent study about the sophists. And my good friend and colleague is teaching an independent study about feminist rhetoric, which I have asked to sit in on, from time to time. It promises to be an adventurous semester.

Totally unrelated (perhaps, perhaps not), I found an old CD the other day: "Cool on the Inside" by a band called farmer that I think no longer exists. We stumbled, literally and figuratively, upon this band in our hazy days at the U of Alabama. As I remember it--and people are free to correct/embellish--it was the afternoon. Most likely, I was skipping class. And so we went to drink at one of the bars on the strip. This band was playing, and, for some reason, we just totally dug them. So, I bought a CD--and proceeded to listen to it over and over again for a short period of time. And then I put it away.

Listening to it again, for the first time in, like, um, 13 years? 12 years? Was a powerful memory-pull--almost physical. I regret that this is one of the only CD's I still have from that time. The disappearance of favorite college bands is a sad, honest truism. Some other disappeared favorites: PLAID, The Refreshments, Pain, Follow For Now, Vova Nova. I'm sure there are many that I am forgetting.

I looked for some clips from farmer on youtube. No dice. Still, I did find some stuff from Follow For Now. Therefore, in the spirit of re-memory and re-vision, here's to unattended geography classes and bourbon-soaked discovery. Go ahead and mosh around your office/cubicle/living room. You're gonna want to... and nobody's watching. Promise.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I am remembering all this right--and like you said, it is all so hazy. .. I think that was about the same time that you were obsessed with the TV show "California Dreams."

Really, you don't have The Refreshments anymore?

james said...

First of all, thanks for outing me as a closet California Dreams lover. Second, I have the second Refreshments album, but all I have for the first one is the empty case. Sometimes I sing the Picard song really loudly in my office, though. Does that count?

Anonymous said...

I'll burn you a copy of Fizzy Fuzzy Big & Buzzy if you burn me a copy of the Farmer CD.

Fair trade?

james said...

Deal.

Lisa said...

How funny. I found a Vova Nova CD the other day but haven't listened to it. I remember seeing them at Tip Top. I was wearing your Doc Martens which were 2 sizes too small, but I don't remember much about the band. Good times.

james said...

Lisa--Tip Top! Awesome. I haven't thought about that place in a while. Those were some interesting moments.

And, on a sidenote, Wanna burn me a copy of that CD?

Anonymous said...

The first time I went to Tip Top was to see Vova Nova and there was this guy with a machete attached to his back. Awesome. Oh, and I danced all Rob-like all night long.

Anonymous said...

The first time I shot as a stringer for the HSV times was covering Buddy Guy at the Tip Top. Hadn't thought about that in ages.

Didn't it burn down? I can't remember.

Lisa said...

J- I'm just gonna send you the original.

A- I would be amazed if it DIDN'T burn down...or fall into a sink hole.

Anonymous said...

Found: one Pain CD, nametag says "Midgets With Guns". In good condition, loyal but un-played for many years. Free to good home. Contact David L. via link with postal details.

james said...

Rob--Ahhh, macheted dancers and underage drinking. Such a heady combination.

Alan--We should re-open Tip Top.

David--Done and done.

Anonymous said...

I'll see your Follow for Now and raise you a Fishbone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zICxh9kKZg